Software updates over the air for industrial assets
How industrial companies keep their devices up to date and add new functionalities in an efficient and convenient way.
As the number of connected devices and edge computing components grows, keeping software up to date becomes an ever more important consideration. This is especially true for the industrial sector, where equipment is generally regarded as a long-term investment. Rather than replacing their equipment periodically, companies mostly rely on long maintenance cycles to keep machinery operational. Software updates not only allow industrial companies to address security issues, they also offer a means of providing customers with new functionalities. While they are an indispensable element of today’s industrial IoT landscape, rolling out software and firmware can involve a number of challenges:
- It is difficult to keep track of devices and assets that are distributed around the world.
- Companies have to stay on top of the configuration requirements for different devices and assets.
- Security breaches or software bugs require companies to react quickly and efficiently.
- Manual software updates carried out on-site are time-consuming and not customer-friendly.
- Updates have to be installed in a secure and reliable manner.
Industrial companies can overcome these challenges by securely providing software or firmware updates over the air (SOTA/FOTA). Rolling out software updates over the Internet ensures a quick and reliable software update process and reduces manual efforts to a minimum.
Use case overview
- Industrial companies are able to address security issues, install the latest software versions, and provide new functionalities in a convenient way.
- Companies can reduce manual efforts to a minimum and save a substantial amount of time and money.
- With software updates over the air manufacturers can prolong their product’s life cycle by ensuring that their devices are technically always up to date.
Bosch IoT Rollouts: software updates from small scenarios to large campaigns
Bosch IoT Rollouts is the domain-independent backend solution of Bosch IoT Suite, supporting the rollout of software updates or artifact deliveries to edge devices as well as to powerful controllers and gateways. Devices can be connected to the Bosch IoT Rollouts server either directly through an optimized interface or indirectly through federated device management servers.
Size and numbers don’t matter: smaller scenarios can be directly updated; provisioning is fully managed by the Bosch IoT Rollouts server. If you are facing a large rollout campaign, you can split your set of devices into deployment groups and implement your campaign with a managed rollout flow, which makes it easy to monitor the rollout process. Use the reporting functionalities to see the statistics of all installed and updated versions. The device and software repository holds both the provisioning targets and the assignable distribution – including a full update history for every device. Bosch IoT Rollouts can also be used in combination with Bosch IoT Remote Manager.